It's Your World—Change It!
Introducing the First Series of Journeys
Your Voice, Your World: The Power of Advocacy
How often have you seen something that really needed to be changed and wondered, "Why isn’t someone doing something about that?" This journey gives Girl Scout Ambassadors a way to be that someone—an advocate with the power to start the first flutter of real and lasting change. While creating their own "butterfly effect," they'll gain
an array of skills—such as networking, planning and learning to speak up for what they believe—that will benefit them as they prepare for life beyond high school.
This journey offers Ambassadors the tools to dig for the root of an issue they deeply care about and then to explore possible solutions. As they advocate for a solution, girls at the highest level of Girl Scouts will develop confidence and valuable leadership skills—problem-solving, research, networking, persuasive speaking and consensus-building. These skills are a strong foundation for girls to be leaders who speak up for what they believe in life now—and into the future!
- The Girl Scout Advocate Award is earned by Girl Scout Ambassadors who choose to complete the eight Steps to Advocacy as they explore an issue that they find intriguing and exciting, engage community partners and advocate for change. Whether or not their advocacy effort succeeds, girls will have taken steps to make the world a better place!
It's Your Planet—Love It!
Introducing the Summer 2009 Journeys
- Justice—for Earth and all its inhabitants—we all know what it is. Why is it so hard to achieve?
- Ambassadors realize that maybe justice needs a brand-new equation—their equation.
- By "Doing the Math" with even the simplest of acts, deciphering how decisions get made, and exploring how to use scientific evidence, Ambassadors will create and then present their own unique equation for what justice asks of us.
- Along the way, they will find they are also networking and gathering new ideas for college and careers.
- Ambassadors can also take some time out to Nest and Soar as they ponder new inspirations from birds around the world.
- When they add the Sage Award to their list of accomplishments, Ambassadors will be confident that they are they are the wise and healing leaders Earth yearns for!
On this journey to JUSTICE, Ambassadors have the opportunity to earn the prestigious Sage Award by participating in activities in the six steps to understanding environmental justice. The Sage Award takes its name from the word meaning wise person (from the Latin root sapere, to be wise) and the medicinal herb (from the Latin root salvare, to heal or to save). The award represents both the commitment and ability to be judicious, and it reminds us of the importance of healing.
While earning the Sage Award, girls explore justice (and injustice) from many angles including science, decision making and even doing a little math! Ultimately
Ambassadors create and present their own unique definitions for Justice!
It's Your Story - Tell It!
BLISS: Live It! Give It!
Ambassadors learn to dream big, now and for their future, and begin their legacy as leaders who help others achieve their dreams too.
- Dream Maker Award - Ambassadors understand the bliss they can achieve by helping others with their dreams, and realize that a leader pursues her own dreams and makes it possible for others to do the same