- In advance of the National Council Session, each individual elected by the council as a voting member/delegate to the National Council takes personal responsibility to: study all items on the agenda, including background information, and recommendations of the National Board of Directors, attend briefing meetings conducted by the council; participate in council, board and association meetings; and participate in council forums and focus groups, as requested, obtain a broad array of the opinions of adult members and Girl Scout Seniors and Ambassadors from all parts of the council, participate in teleconferences for voting members, sponsored by the national organization and engage in opportunities to discuss, learn and share ideas across the Movement.
- While attending the National Council Session, each voting member is responsible for: attending all business meetings and participating in the proceedings, being fully prepared to participate in discussion and vote on all business items.
- Upon returning from the National Council Session, each National Council voting member/delegate is prepared to: report at the council's annual meeting, to the council Board of Directors and council's constituency (if requested by council Board Chair/ President and CEO) on the National Council decisions and the reason for such decisions, share insights on information gained at the National Council Session, if requested and participate in teleconferences and other opportunities for voting members/delegates.
G.I.R.L. 2017 | National Council Session
Every three years, Girl Scouts from all over the country gather at the Girl Scout Convention & National Council Session to reinvigorate our Movement, celebrate our accomplishments, and chart our future.
The 54th Convention will take place Wednesday, October 4 – Sunday October 8, 2017 in Columbus, Ohio. Our Council always has great participation from our volunteers, and we hope this upcoming convention will inspire you to join us!
In 2017, we're putting the spotlight squarely on girls and refocusing our Girl Scout convention to make it the premier event for every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ who wants to make the world a better place—and we’re calling it G.I.R.L. 2017.
The time is now—time to give girls and young women the tools to empower themselves for a lifetime of leadership, to connect and share ideas with one another in friendship, and to act together in true team spirit to let the world know girls can make awesome, game-changing things happen!
In October 2017, you can join Girl Scouts, the biggest girl-serving organization in the world, as we come together to celebrate girls in a big, big way. From educational sessions to inspiring speakers and tons of one-of-a-kind FUN, this is the girl-power event of the year. You don’t want to miss it.
Don't want to be a delegate, but interested in attending G.I.R.L. 2017?
Let us know. We're exploring a council trip to Columbus!
Apply to be a Council Delegate.
Girl Scouts Heart of the South is currently seeking nominations for two girl delegates (14 years of age and older) to serve as official Council Delegates to the National Council Session .
The delegate must be:
- A United States citizen
- A registered member of Girl
- 14 years of age or older
- Available to attend the National Council Session (October 4–6, 2017) in Columbus, Ohio
Each girl delegate will receive an all-expense paid trip to Columbus, Ohio! The council will cover travel, hotel and a per diem for food for the delegates ONLY. The hotel room will be double occupancy.
If chosen to be one of our voting delegates, you will:
- represent GIRL Scouts Heart of the South at the 2017 National Council Session/54th National Convention of Girl Scouts of the USA on Oct. 4-8, 2017 in Columbus, Ohio
- help elect the National Board of Directors
- make decisions about the future of the Girl Scout movement during a three-year term (April 2017 to April 2020)
- See additional duties to be performed prior to, during and after 2017 National Council Session/54th National Convention of Girl Scouts of the USA below.
Delegate Duties BEFORE
Delegate Duties DURING
Delegate Duties AFTER
Deadline for applications is Friday, March 31, 2017.
For questions, please email